Frequently asked questions

1. Do I need to come to the High Commission to submit my request for consular services (visas, laissez-passer, legalizations, powers of attorney, etc.)? How do I send my request?

You are only allowed to come to the High Commission upon invitation from the High Commission. This provision was taken in the context of the health crisis linked to the coronavirus.

The High Commission receives the various requests for consular services by post and returns them at the end of the processing (rejection or processed file).

It is important to note that the processing time starts from the day the file is received by the High Commission. The users are invited to choose the appropriate means of mail transport according to the urgency of their situation.

2. Should I contact the High Commission again if I don't get my file back?

The processing time for each file has been presented on the website. You are invited to contact the High Commission only if the normal processing time has already passed. In order to facilitate the rapid processing of the file, it is imperative to send a complete file as required on the website. You can consult the status of your application on the website by entering your application references. With the exception of passport renewals, as of June 2021, a list of new passports received from the Délégation Générale à la Sûreté Nationale is published on the website.

3. Are visas currently issued by the High Commission?

Yes, the High Commission issues visas for people who have essential travel to Cameroon. As Cameroon’s borders are partially closed due to the health crisis, applicants are required to provide supporting documents based on the reason for travel (death certificate, death certificate, medical certificate, publication of banns …)

4. As a Cameroonian national, do I need a letter of invitation in my visa application process?

You can submit a letter of invitation as required on the website. But you can also download a Declaration of Honor form from the website, fill it out and attach it to your application.

5. Do minors of Cameroonian origin also have to submit a Declaration of Honor form?

Yes, the Declaration of Honor must be included in the visa application and must be signed by the parent or guardian of the applicant. The same applies to the visa application form which must be signed by the same person.

6. When is the best time to apply for a consular benefit?

In view of the high number of requests and the time constraints due to the confinement measures, users are invited to anticipate and submit their requests sufficiently in advance to avoid unpleasant situations. It is suggested not to wait for the proximity of a trip or a deadline to apply for a visa, a pass or any other document. It would be wise to do so well in advance.

7. When exactly should I apply for my passport renewal?

The presentation of a valid status is a legal requirement because a Diplomatic Mission must respect the laws and regulations of the host country. In this regard, it cannot renew the passport of a citizen in an irregular situation. For those whose status has expired, they must show the document from Immigration Canada that demonstrates that their file is being renewed (e.g. Acknowledgement of Receipt of your application or renewal of status file provided by IRCC).

8. What should I do if I lose my passport during the renewal process?

You must present a certificate of loss of your passport issued by the police in the place where the document was lost. The High Commission requires a complete certificate describing the circumstances of the loss, the place of loss and, if necessary, the passport references and the full identity of the person concerned. This is at least a document issued by the police records department, depending on the province.

9. Can I have a Canadian document legalized at the High Commission of Cameroon?

The High Commission does not legalize Canadian documents directly. When the legalization of a non-Cameroonian document is requested for various reasons, the user must first have the document signed by a Notary Public before sending it to the High Commission for legalization with the other required documents.

10. If my child was born in Canada, do I automatically have to get a transcript of his or her birth certificate from the High Commission?

The transcription of the birth certificate is reserved for children who have Cameroonian nationality. In this regard, both parents must be Cameroonian and must apply for it within 6 months after the birth of the child. In the situation where only one of the parents has Cameroonian nationality, the other parent will have to send a notarized authorization in which he/she agrees to the establishment of a transcription for his/her child.

11. My Cameroonian National Identity Card has expired or is lost, can I renew it at the Embassy?

No. The High Commission of Cameroon in Canada does not renew National Identity Cards. This procedure is only possible in Cameroon at the level of the General Delegation for National Security.

12. My Cameroonian National Identity Card has expired or is lost, can I still renew my passport?

Yes, the National Identity Card is an essential document for passport renewal, but if it has expired and you have the original you can attach a photocopy to your file; if for various reasons you do not have a National Identity Card, you can still proceed to renew your passport.

13. My visa expires during my stay in Cameroon. How can I extend it?

If your visa expires during your stay in Cameroon, you can request a visa extension from the competent authorities of the General Delegation for National Security (Emi-Immigration). To do so, you will probably have to submit a file including the documents required by the said Authorities.

14. I don't have an International Yellow Fever Vaccination Card. Can I still apply for a visa?

The International Yellow Fever Vaccination Card is a mandatory document to enter Cameroon. If you do not have one, you can get vaccinated and attach the vaccination card or a copy to your visa application. If you have lost it, go to a vaccination clinic and ask for a new document.

15. I have misplaced my birth certificate. Can I renew my passport without it?

No. When renewing your passport, you must present either the original of your birth certificate for legalization of a copy, or a legalized copy of your birth certificate dated less than three months ago.

If your birth certificate is lost, you must request by yourself or through your relatives, a certificate of loss of your birth certificate from the Cameroonian police services and then request from the Town Hall of your place of birth, a certificate of existence of the counterfoil of your birth certificate that you will present on the day of your passport renewal appointment. However, this document is not valid indefinitely because according to the law, you must request from the Cameroonian justice system, the reconstitution of your lost or destroyed birth certificate. You are invited to seek the appropriate legal advice for this purpose.

16. I am a Cameroonian, do I necessarily need to provide a consular card for my various consular services at the High Commission?

Yes, the Consular Card is an essential element for all applications for consular services submitted to the High Commission. This document is valid for 5 years. If you already have one, please attach a photocopy of both sides of the card to each application for consular services.  If you do not have one yet, please send us an application form for a consular card and attach the required documents on the website of the High Commission (register / consular card tab).

Our services